Coming to America - Playing on the SMART board as students enter for first lesson.
We live in a great big wonderful world! Our 2nd graders are taking a closer look at our country, the United States of America, to learn more about the history, symbols, landforms, and everything that makes our country unique.
Where have you been?
Where would you like to go?
What makes us unique?
EXPLORE - students can partner up to explore the Google tour on their own.
Option 1: English & Spanish
Option 2: English
Nearpod has lessons that do similar introductions for your students. You can sign up for a free 30 day trial. There are some paid units available as well.
The End in Mind - Each team's job is to become the expert on one topic and then teach your classmates about it by creating a digital poster, using Board Builder.
Use the topic UNCLE SAM to model the research process.
This can be done by the librarian, or by the teachers within the classroom. Classroom teachers can also continue modeling the note taking process using topics that were not selected by individual students.
What questions do you have about your topic? Use the prompts on the note taking form to help individualize questions for each topic.
What information do you need to gather in order to complete your task?
Gather your resources!
You will use print & electronic resources - in other words, books and computers!
Video 1- Gathering your resources within Discovery Education and creating your Quick List.
Be sure to tap on the title of the video to view, videos load at the bottom of the screen.
If you are using a chromebook, you will need to teach students how to right click by using 2 fingers to tap on the mousepad. Students will then choose save image as and select the option to save in My Drive (which saves in their Google Drive). The image will then be available to upload into their Board.
Video 2 - Creating a Board within Discovery Education.
Each team will synergize to create their Board Builders.
After you gather your resources - notes, images, and videos...
You will learn how to Storyboard the board you will create
*Include a simple picture (pencil only - no details) with stick persons to represent each image and video
*Write out what you want to say in complete sentences - this is the time to use capitals, periods, and good spelling.
*Make sure it all makes sense!
The better you plan now - the easier & better your Board will be!
Watch the first video to learn how to gather your images and videos from Discovery Education. Then login and build your Quick List.
Now watch the second video or use the directions sheet to learn how to use Board Builder.
Create your Board Builder!
This guide was created by NEISD Library Services staff with input from 2nd grade teachers at Canyon Ridge Elementary (2013-2016).
(1) History. The student understands the historical significance of landmarks and celebrations in the community, state, and nation. The student is expected to:
(3) History. The student understands how various sources provide information about the past and present. The student is expected to:
(4) History. The student understands how historical figures, patriots, and good citizens helped shape the community, state, and nation. The student is expected to:
(13) Citizenship. The student understands characteristics of good citizenship as exemplified by historical figures and other individuals. The student is expected to:
(14) Citizenship. The student identifies customs, symbols, and celebrations that represent American beliefs and principles that contribute to our national identity. The student is expected to: